Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nasi Mie Goreng Tek Tek, Mie Ayam, Nasi Soto - Food before Flight & Cloud Reading


What would be the perfect meal for my one night transit in Jakarta before flying to Bali? 5-star hotel buffet indulgence? A scrumptious Padang spread? Fancy schmancy Indonesian fusion? Na-ah! I want a lazy, ordered in (by SMS), carb on carb satisfier.....Nasi Mie Goreng Tek Tek (Fried Rice and Noodle Mix from a Street Cart Vendor)! Spicy and delicious, it got me totally high, put me to sleep almost instantly, critical to preserve all the energy I was gonna need for my flight the next day. Zzzzzz....the next day....

Hello, sunshine! I was so looking forward to the normally-crappy-yet-I-still-love airline food, only to learn that Air Asia domestic flights do not serve food. You have to purchase in flight food, and you're not allowed to bring outside food on board. Whoa! Luckily, before we boarded the flight, we had this wonderful brunch at one of the ordinary cafes at Bandara Soekarno Hatta's domestic departure terminal...

I ordered my all time favorite Mie Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Noodle). The texture of the noodle was not what I was expected, a bit overcooked, less chewy, but the chicken compensated it.


My sis ordered another Indonesian breakfast/brunch favorite, Soto Ayam (Indonesian chicken in broth), it was not bad at all, much better than what we expected, but not as good as Soto Ayam from famous outlets.


Something memorable from this cafe.....we love the vintage teacup and saucer used to serve our Indonesian hot coffee and hot tea, we even asked the waiter where to get them from. To our disappointment, his answer was "dunno". Sob sob.

What happens if I boarded a flight without any in flight entertainment, no magazine or book on hand, and still wanting more food?

I stared out the window gawking at the clouds and to me, the big fluffy ones looked like cotton candy and the small puckered ones look like pop corn. Hmmm....deliciously delusional.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

OMG - just the title of your post made my tummy grumble! These are some of my favorite Indo foods. Great post Rita!

Indonesia Eats said...

hmmm I also wondered where that place got the saucers and teacups

Heather said...

woah! that shot of the clouds is AMAZING!

deetha said...

mi ayam......

Tuty said...

Nasi Mie Goreng Tek Tek... watch out... Rice-A-Roni may want to copy this idea =))

Elsye said...

nasgor di campur mie goreng ...geleemmm...:D

M said...

Mie Ayam is so yummy... my favourite one is the one from Bakmi GM. I love Bakmi GM's special mie, their pangsit goreng and es teh manis!

Chandra said...

wow
I am so hungry

Chandra said...

wow
I am so hungry