Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tamarind and Palm Sugar Popsicles - Off to Malaysia (Again?)


I am not a big fan of summertime's heat, it gets me sweaty from doing...even absolutely nothing. However, summer heat is the perfect excuse reason for everything icy.
Ice cream? I like.
Sorbet? Even better.
Shaved ice with syrup and coconut milk? Totally.
Icy stares thrown at uncles who gawk at your legs/chest? When else are we allowed to be so bitchy? Secretly enjoyable.
and above all...
POPSICLES!!!
Refreshing, thirst quenching, fruity, icy cold goodness on a stick, in a hot summer afternoon. Perfection.

In Summer, I prefer fruity treats over their creamy chocolatey cousins. Lemon, lime, orange, berries...nice, but for me, it's time to get a bit more exotic and well...Indonesian :)

Tamarind and Palm Sugar Popsicles

Recipe
- A couple of spoonfuls of tamarind paste
- A few pieces of palm sugar (I used about 4 small pieces)
- Hot water

Boil water in a pot, add tamarind paste and palm sugar bit by bit and taste until you reach the perfect balance between the tang of tamarind and the sticky coconutey sweetness of palm sugar. Strain into another pot and let cool. Pour into popsicle mold and freeze.


To pull out the popsicles from the mold, dip them into a bowl of hot water for just a few seconds. They will slide out gently.


Lick, bite, suck.
Hear the sizzle as our bodies cool down.

Talk about heat, I am off to somewhere hot, Malaysia (again) for work, and I heard it is nowhere near any good food. Hello days of cup noodles and soyjoy....hope I could squeeze in a few moments of deliciousness. Wish me luck, and see you soon, my hungry monkeys! Stay yummy.

20 comments:

deetha said...

ih, tutupe kok lucu sih.....

Anonymous said...

hello rita...whr's the place in msia if i may ask?i m fr msia too


rgds
ssl

che zaid said...

HI Rit,
Is sooooo cooolllll, wanna have some as nowadays KL so hot!!!dont forget to get some cooking paste when u visit M'sia, kay..

Anonymous said...

remember to get some Mamee mee goreng instant noodle too...sedap! hehehe

Ning said...

Have a safe and delicious trip! Love the popsicles! I have to make some now...

Anonymous said...

I am just surprised that you mentioned Malaysia is no where any good food.

There is plenty of good food in Malaysia, just make sure you ask the right person.

Are you not from Indonesia? Indonesia is just as hot as Malaysia. Perhaps, even hotter.

Screamin' Mama said...

I bet my kids would love those popsicles! I will have to try that this summer.

Love Malaysia! I will alway remember the tandori chicken and fresh naan bread straight from the clay ovens in the open air restaurants.

EatTravelEat said...

Only three ingredients! Wow... and it look so delicious too. I need to get a popsicle mold someday so I can make popsicles.

Unknown said...

hi guys, thanks for dropping by...i am here in shah alam ^_^

and good news is...PLENTY OF GOOD FOOD AROUND HERE and more importantly, I HAVE THE FREAKIN TIME TO TASTE SOME (I thought I wouldn't have any chance! ^_^)

to anonymous, i meant, i heard from my colleagues that there will be no food around this venue, but obviously she was wrong. i am from indonesia and it is hot there indeed ;)

daphne said...

oo.. hv a great time there!!! bring back photos- i always love malaysia's food!

Anonymous said...

hi rita...you should try this 'nasi ayam kampung' at the following address:

Shah Alam:
Restoran A. Hassan
Jalan Lawan Pedang 13/27
Section 13 Shah Alam, Selangor

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

oh!! I wanna to go too!! miss my hometown!! your popsicles sound interesting!!

Babe_KL said...

gosh this really brings back lots of childhood memories :p they usually come in a long plastic bag about an inch in diameter :D

ladyironchef said...

wah the popsicles really brought back memories for me, so nostalgic!

Jo said...

Strange that I've never tried this before. Very intriguing recipe. I just realized that I have almost the same popsicle moulds that you have. My hometown is KL and there is definitely food aplenty there.

Soma said...

Congratulations! That pic in DMBLGIT is absolutley stunning!

Anonymous said...

Es asem manis...:) asik pas summer pasti! btw, selamat udah menang di DMBLGIT.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to make this recipe, but I haven't any palm sugar. What quantity of granulated (white) sugar should I use?

Unknown said...

hi, hmmm i think it is not gonna be the same without palm sugar, because palm sugar has this....coconuty, earthy qualities to it...

if you're using white sugar, i am not sure how much exactly you should use, but you can try adding sugar bit by bit, and keep tasting it, until you achieve the perfect balance of sour and sweetness. do make it a little on the sweet side, as the sweetness will be reduced after freezing.

hope this helps.

Zhang said...

we have the same popsicle mold. bought it from handyman.

www.choozhang.blogspot.com
www.badkitteh.com