Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tomato & Beef Cubes on Mixed Rice


Recently, sous chef has been asking me to include more tomatoes in my cooking. He said tomatoes contain a type of antioxidant which is good for boys and it prevents prostate cancer. When I digged a little deeper (i.e. just look it up in Wikipedia. LOL. So much for a serious research), I found that although there are some research which did not prove that statement, tomatoes are still good for us.

Plus, they improve my skin's ability to deal with fierce UV rays.
Plus, their acidic qualities make most dishes taste more delicious.
Plus, you can fool people with your accent by saying either tomahto and tomayto.
Plus, HK$10 can get you five tomatoes.
Plus, having a bit of tomatoes in a dish can make me feel healthier already.
Plus, although they are actually fruits, they act as vegetables in cooking (so I could say that I include vegetables in my cooking?).

Thus, I shall oblige and include more tomatoes in our diet.
Here's one of my favorite ways to deal with tomatoes.

Tomato & Beef Cubes on Mixed Rice
Recipe
- 0.5 lb of beef cubes (or beef meat cut for stir frying or sukiyaki style, but cubes are more juicy)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 6-8 sections each
- tiny bit of corn starch, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, olive oil

Marinate beef in dark soy, light soy, sweet soy, worchestershire sauce, olive oil and a bit of corn starch, for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. Saute garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil, add beef cubes, add tomatoes, adjust flavors, cook everything through, serve with a bowl of rice (or in my case, pretending to eat healthier, a mix of red, brown and white rice).

Plus, the red look beautiful when photographed.

6 comments:

daphne said...

Mixed rice is healthy! hehehe..

yeah, i love tomatoes.. going to try making tomato fried rice!!

Tricia said...

Looks delicious. Drooling!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks really appetising! I've been incorporating lots of tomatoes in my diet now too after reading about how good they are =P

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great, mixed rice is like wild rice right?

Unknown said...

@daphne i'll check out your tomato fried rice ^_^

@tricia, thanks!

@pigspigscorner and they taste good ;)

@locm my mixed rice = white, brown and red rice...chewy chewy yummy

EatTravelEat said...

I do the mixed rice sometimes with black and white rice, but not red. Tomato and beef rice is one of my favorite dishes to order when I am too lazy to cook. So yummy and delicious.

Haha...I eat tomatoes for the same reason! Unfortunately I don't get them at such a good price.