Monday, January 4, 2010

Tom Yum Grilled Chicken Drumsticks


I'm gonna start 2010 by being true to myself.
Yuck, somehow that sounds too philosophical.
You know, philosophy + me = nothing good

What's my true self?
Expert cook? Nope.
Experienced diner with amazing palate? Nope and nope.
I spent quite a long time (like 15 minutes?) pondering about who I am, only to realize that I am not a foodie, gourmet, gourmand, wannabe chef, cook, etc, etc, etc.

What am I? I have yet to find a word or a phrase that can represent myself, but I surely know one thing.
I am someone who does yummy the lazy way.

See, I'm more of a Shallow Hal than an Aristotle.

This dish represents so much of myself, it's ridic!
1. Chicken drumsticks with skin on = me
2. Instant tomyum paste = anything "instant" can be followed by "perfect for Rita"
3. Marinate and grill = almost not considered as "cooking" = again, so me

Calling this a "recipe" is laughable, but still, it does list what I used and how I did it...so I guess...here we go~

Ingredients
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 pack Tomyum paste (I love this one)
- couple tbsp hot water to dissolve the paste a bit

The night before serving, dissolve tomyum paste in a bit of hot water until it reaches "spreadable" consistency, not too thin, we don't want our marinate to be watery. Rub and massage paste all over chicken drumsticks, generously, refrigerate for one night, at least.

On the day, preheat oven to 180C, grill chicken covered in aluminium foil until the meat's cooked (about 30 minutes), crank up temperature to 250C, grill chicken uncovered until beautifully golden.

You can do similar things with chicken wings, serve them in a party and watch your guests killing each other fighting over them. These babies are perfect with carb of your choice (hello, steamed rice and lots of it).

This year, I hope I could do yummier things in ways tat are lazier than ever.
Cheers!

15 comments:

Melody Fury // GourmetFury.com said...

Cute! I have several packs of tom yum paste (came as freebies with noodles) and was wondering what to do with them apart from making soup. Great idea :)

tracieMoo said...

Tom Yam sounds really good. The juicy chicken looks mouth watering!

Babe_KL said...

Happy New Year Rita!

pam said...

Way to be true to yourself! Perfect!

Pei-Lin said...

Mmm ... Can I have some? What a yummy dish and the shot is just so ... *fainted*

Justin said...

i guess i should look around for this tom yum paste, because i'm not sure what it is

Noob Cook said...

this is real good food to me, and I like the instant paste and no-mess cooking!

Ayu said...

Hi Rita,
I really enjoy reading your blog. Superb photos, and incredible writing. Good work! Well done!

Ayu

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha, that is so me too, doing the yummy the laziest way. Tom Yum grilled drumsticks sound great, will try it out. :)

EatTravelEat said...

Sounds like another great way to use tom yum paste! I have two large glass jars of the tom yum paste and haven't used it for other than tom yum. I can see how good it will taste though when used with chicken with your tantalizing photo. Yum!

And if I didn't say to you already, happy new year :).

tigerfish said...

Happy New Year!

Way to start the new year with easy tasty recipe like this. Awesome!

YaYa said...

Way to go, love your "non"-philosopy of life!

pigpigscorner said...

love instant and yummy stuff too =) the chicken looks so good!

Mrs Ergül said...

We all have times like this! I love tom yam!

Daniel@thefoodaddicts.com said...

These look mighty tasty!